We Have The Legal Know-How You Are Looking For
Running a business is rewarding. But using your time and your employees’ time efficiently while navigating a web of complicated laws, regulations, and disputes is essential. Let us ease your mind and your workload. We’ll help you protect your brand, tackle the legal issues that arise, and present you with strategies and solutions, freeing you and your staff to run your business.
Contracts are fundamental to getting business done. But, contracts written in legalese, that people can’t easily understand are difficult to implement and administer. We write contracts in English, make sure clients understand the requirements, and negotiate well-defined terms all parties can live with. We assist clients with drafting, negotiating, and interpreting various business agreements, for example:
- Commercial leases
- Partnership and shareholder agreements
- Confidentiality agreements
- Asset Purchase Agreements
- Independent Contractor / Consulting Agreements
- Joint Venture Agreements
- Franchise Agreements
- Letters of Intent
- Licensing Agreements
- Operating Agreements
- Promissory Notes
A trademark can be a word, symbol, design, slogan or some combination used to identify and distinguish your goods and services from others’. We assist clients with all aspects of their trademarks and copyrights, from evaluating the availability of marks to securing, maintaining and enforcing their registrations, for example:
- Analyzing and advising clients concerning U.S. trademark clearance searches
- Filing and prosecuting trademark applications
- Post-registration maintenance of trademark registrations
- Trademark licensing
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) proceedings, including, for example, oppositions and cancellation proceedings
- Negotiating co-existence and concurrent use agreements.
- Representing clients in resolution of trademark disputes.
- Advising clients regarding copyright issues, including registering copyrights with the US Copyright Office.
Entity Formation & Operation
Figuring out how to organize your business is one of the most important, and frequently first, considerations for a business owner. Every type of business entity, from corporations to sole proprietorships, offers benefits, costs, and complications. We’ll discuss your goals and identify options tailored to your business. We will take care of necessary administrative filings as well as draft the documents, from simple to complex, to get your business up and running or to make changes along the way.
Despite preventative measures and efforts to diffuse tension and resolve disputes outside of a courtroom, some lawsuits are unavoidable. But, our approach to litigation is results-oriented. We will apply our experience, synthesize complex issues and related law, and help clients identify the most appropriate course of action to accomplish their goals cost-effectively.
Entering into a contract imposes certain legal rights and obligations on the parties. Typical contract disputes arise related to formation, interpretation, and performance. We will handle your dispute with a cost-effective strategy designed to protect your contractual rights. For example, Melnick & Melnick, S.C.,
- Settled post-sale contract dispute related to international manufacturer’s purchase of client’s subsidiary’s assets.
- Settled contract dispute related to defective design and construction of custom-built yacht.
- Settled contract dispute against large public company on behalf of local non-profit.
- Won default judgment in favor of client lessor and defended judgment on appeal. The Wisconsin Court of Appeals affirmed in a published case, East Winds Props., LLC v. Jahnke, 2009 WI App 125, 320 Wis.2d 797.
Harm to business relationships and economic interests caused by wrongful or unlawful conduct may be compensated under the law. Fraud, interference with contractual relations, and unfair competition are prevalent in the business world and steps must be taken to protect your bottom line.
- Recovered funds for elderly client related to investment advisor’s fraud.
- Successfully tried franchise owner’s breach of fiduciary duty and related claims against an employee twice – first, secured judgment in circuit court trial and second, protected client’s judgment from discharge after successful trial in bankruptcy court in adversary proceeding.